When diminutive French president Nicolas Sarkozy conducted a speech at a factory he was flanked by workers no taller than him - leading to accusations of a set-up.
At 5ft 5in (165cm) Nicolas Sarkozy is only an 2.5ins shorter than the average French male, though his height is regularly discussed. Now aides to the French president are accused of seeking out only short individuals to make their boss appear taller.
On a visit to a motor technology workshop in Normandy, 20 of the shortest employees were picked to share a stage with Mr Sarkozy. One of them told Belgian TV she had been selected because her small stature wouldn't cause the president appear short.
But the Elysee Palace dismissed the allegation as "absurd and grotesque".
Yet Mr Sarkozy would not be the first man to try to look taller. So what are the common methods that short individuals use to improve their height?
1. Use height increase insoles, like Lift Height Insoles. Of course you don't have to be short to use a height increase insoles. Sir Cliff Richard admitted using height increase insole to boost his 5ft 10in (178cm) frame during performance, to match his tall dancers. And Sir Mick Jagger, who stands shoulder to shoulder with Sir Cliff on height, if not sexual politics, has used elevated Nike trainers on the red carpet to become closer to his 6ft 2in (188cm) girlfriend.
2.Use a footstool. Mr Sarkozy's people may be rebuffing claims that he surrounds himself with shorter individuals, but there was no denying the president's use of a footstool at the D-Day anniversary this year. Speaking from the same lectern as Prime Minister Gordon Brown (5ft 11ins) and President Barack Obama (6ft 1in), he stood on a box to give his speech.
3. Besides height increase insoles, you may use increase shoes, for a more valuable rise. It's not the sort of footwear that can be purchased in a High Street shoe shop, but there are a lot of options available online, giving a height increase of anywhere between two and five inches. Media commentator Vince Graff, who is "5ft 2-and-a-bit inches", tried them for a night out, getting a four-inch increase. Instead of showing a big, chunky heel, the footwear conceals the lift it provides inside the shoe - making for a "discreet" way to grow instantly taller. However the deception comes at a cost to the wearer - Graff likens the experience to wearing a pair of stilettos.
4. Fashion trick. Fashion is governed by rules and dressing to give the illusion of a few extra inches is no different. The key points include wearing one colour head-to-toe and avoiding turn-ups as they have the effect of shortening the length of the leg, according to the Style Directions website. In addition, try well-fitted clothes as poor fitting ones can emphasise width which in turn reduces the perception of height.
5. Find someone who is willing to compromise. Love is a two-way street, which presumably explains why Rod Stewart's partner Penny Lancaster, 6ft 1in, reportedly steps off the kerb for publicity and paparazzi photos shots, so she doesn't tower over her husband, who is 5ft 8ins.
6. Understand your limitation when choosing a partner. "When you're a teenager, you learn quite quickly that if you're 5ft 2ins you can't date a girl more than 5ft 6," says Mr Graff. "Even if you don't think it looks ridiculous, passers-by do."
7. Clever editing. Pedestals are generally deployed in Hollywood, especially for actors who have the looks even if they do not have a good stature. For example, in Top Gun, viewers remain unaware that Tom Cruise is a few inches shorter than co-star Kelly McGillis, thanks to clever camera work.
Height Increase Insoles-Affordable and Effective
In conclusion, using a height increase insoles is the most affordable and effective method to increase your height and boost your confidence.